A opposed to other social networks (such as MySpace for example), closing a LinkedIn account wasn’t that easy until not so long ago. Things have changed since then, and currently Linkedin is providing a simple procedure for you to close your account:
1. Login to the account you want to close, then *** Accounts & Settings.
2. Under Personal Info, *** Close your account
3. Specify a reason and *** Continue.
* It might take up to 72 hours from the time you close it, until your LinkedIn profile will become un-viewable by your connections.
* Even after closing it, your LinkedIn profile might still be viewable (at least for some time) in search engines.
* If for some reason, you do close you account by mistake, you can still re-open it by contacting LinkedIn Customer Service.